Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



I really like to bake. Almost any time, whether it is after a long day at work, or a quiet Saturday afternoon...if there are butter, sugar and eggs in the house, I am ready to bake.

This past weekend I had a great excuse to bake something simple yet satisfying. I was able to see a
college friend, whom I had not seen since he graduated 13 years ago, star in musical. Doubly fun was seeing several other alums and having it be a surprise to Steve that we were all coming to see his performance.
I wanted to take something to give him after the show, and was not sure if flowers were what one gives to a male performer. But what one cannot say with flowers, one can definitely say with cookies!

So a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies was made. This is one of my stand-bys, as far as cookie recipes go. It's based on the recipe you can find on the lid of Quaker Oats, but instead of 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 cup of raisins, I halve the cinnamon and add chocolate chips. And this batch even got 2 types of chips... some standard Tollhouse semi-sweet, plus some
Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bittersweet chips. Tim and I are both big dark chocolate fans... and these dark chips have become a new favorite not only in baking (they make great fudge frosting) but also right out of the bag!


As with most cookies, I bake them till medium rare, so that they stay moist and gooey. These normally stay soft when stored in an air-tight container.

The recipe: From the lid of Quaker Oats

1 cup butter (I use Cabot unsalted)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (in original recipe, I use ~1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned--I use quick)
1 cup raisins (in original recipe-- I use chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350F
Beat butter and sugars until creamy (you can't do this step too long)
Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla

Combine flour, soda, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl

Add the combined dry ingredients
Stir in oats and chips (or raisins)

Drop by tablespoon on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen

Can also spread into an ungreased 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes to make bar cookies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Tim!

First of all many congratulations on getting your blog up and running. I love the name and I can tell you right off the bat your photos are very good! I'm so happy that you took this step as it was obvious to me that you both love food. I'll be adding you to my links list tonight!

Welcome to the world of food blogging! Enjoy the ride!

Now for the cookies ... delicious! Like you I always underbake (slightly) my cookies unless I'm making something like biscotti.

Well done!

AmyD said...

Ivonne--
it was you who sparked the idea that we could write a food-blog... so thank you for the encouragement and advice.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim & Amy,

Love the dunking cookie photo. Your variation on the Quaker recipe sounds awesome. I'll have to try it soon! Congrats on the new blog! I can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for my visit--I not only hope but demand to be your culinary guinea pig!

Yum!
See you soon!
-Anna