Saturday, June 10, 2006

Homemade pasta



"Why in the world does she have a photo of an aerobic step in her kitchen at the top of this post?!?"
"Ah, the better to knead your pasta dough!"

I am not a tall woman... I think they say my 5 foot 3 inches is kinda average, but I know I shop in the petite department as much as possible, and have to use a step stool to reach things in the cabinets above the stove, which Tim can just reach right in and retrieve.

I had the brainstorm after making pasta one time that it would be so much easier on my shoulders if I had a lower table at which to knead... or if I could be taller... and my conveniently adjustable aerobic step called my name from upstairs.

Since adopting Kingsley a year ago, I no longer work out, but take him for walks, so the step has been underutilized as of late... so how convenient to be able to use it as a safe way to make myself about 5" taller and lead to much easier kneading of rubbery pasta dough.

I suppose I should leave you with a recipe if you'd want to make your own pasta, but I fear that I have never made it the same way twice! I have a Marcella Hazen book, and her measurements are in grams, so that has never been what I turn to except for the pictures and recipes for sauces, as we do not own a kitchen scale (yet). The back of the semolina flour bag I have has its own recipe, which I think yields a too-dry dough, but at least it is in "cups". I also vary the types of flour I use. All semolina is too dry and rough, all white flour is ok, but 2 cups white and 1/2 cup semolina is kinda my regular for egg pasta. To the flour add 3 eggs and warm water if needed. I mix my pasta in a food processor to bring it together, then knead it for a full 10 minutes.
I've also made whole wheat pasta, which requires extra moisture but made what I thought was a pretty tan dough.

Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least an hour before rolling it out and cutting it.

Oh, and while they say you can roll and cut by hand... I cannot imagine doing so... use a pasta maker... or just go buy some fresh pasta from the supermarket!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you making pasta ... you rock!

AmyD said...

Oh, Ivonne... thanks for being such a supportive soul!